[78-L] 78-L How a Columbia Record is Made (silently)

James Tennyson jtennyson at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 7 19:10:56 PDT 2010

I find it odd that there are no pictures of W S Purser who was the Columbia
technical head at this time. I suspect too that the amp that they are
fiddling with  may not in fact be the one they are using to make the
records. It may be one left over from Purser's experiments during 1924-25
when he was developing his own electrical recording system that ultimately
was not used as the WE system was deemed superior.
And speaking of Paris...the first shot of the studio door  has a notice in
French  " Defense espresse d' entrer...." so I suspect the shots of
Stravinski were taken in the Paris Studio. And if you look carefully at the
recording lathe scenes you will see that they consist of  shots of two
different studios edited so it appears to be the some one. The " eccentric
amp" is in shot number two which makes me wonder if it in fact was a Western
Electric product at all .

JRT