[78-L] How a Columbia Record is Made (silently)

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 7 09:42:53 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 06:34 -1000, Malcolm Rockwell wrote:
> I really dug the flute player with the shades on... in 1928! Crazy, man!
> A close up of the cutting head would have been nice, but all in all very
> interesting.

By that time they were using WE equipment. They may not have had
permission to show a close up due to patent constraints and such.

I'd love to see how spiral-outs and the eccentric groove were made.
particularly whether the latter was cut or molded in. (This is a special
curiosity of mine on Victor and HMV records from 1924 until the mid-30s
or so, when the pair of eccentric grooves were different diameters
depending on where the music ended.)

MS