[78-L] Removing stickers on labels

Glenn Longwell glongwell at snet.net
Sun Oct 3 14:39:35 PDT 2010

I can't offer anything for the packing tape problem but I've figured out how to get stickers off labels without damaging the label.

I use a 3M spot sanding pen over the entire surface area of the label to scratch the surface so water can penetrate.  With the spot sanding pen you can be real accurate in sanding without hitting the label.  I then apply a little bit of water on the label using my finger and it soaks into the label and loosens up the glue.  Let it sit for 10-15 seconds or so and and the label starts to come up pretty easily.  If some of the label comes up and you see a dry spot underneath it, apply a little bit more water before trying again.  Once the label is off, blot dry before you do any damage to the label.

Works like a charm.  Using this method I have yet to damage a label.  You'll still likely notice the fact that there was a label there because of the slight color difference as it aged differently than the surrounding area.

Glenn