[78-L] Basie's Li'l Darlin' ^

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Wed Sep 29 15:24:57 PDT 2010

Any Basie experts out there?
There is a live recording, originally issued by Echo Jazz on LP and CD
(EJLP 03 and EJCD 03), that has popped up as a digital album - part of
something called "Broadway Music Hall - Count Basie" (Orphee).
I've been trying to find references to the recording but the closest
I've got is this:
http://jazzrealities.blogspot.com/2009/12/this-is-start-to-eddie-lockjaw-davis_20.html
- a rather amateurish Eddie Lockjaw Discography which dates it to
"probably 1957" and has a suggested line-up as follows:
Wendell Culley, Snooky Young, Thad Jones, Joe Newman (tp) Henry Coker,
Al Grey, Benny Powell (tb) Marshall Royal (as,cl) Frank Wess (ts,as,fl)
Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, Frank Foster (ts) Charlie Fowlkes (bar) Count
Basie (p) Freddy Green (g) Eddie Jones (b) Sonny Payne (dr) Dave Lambert
(voc) Jon Hendricks (voc) Annie Ross (voc)

Does anyone have the correct data for this recording?
I also wonder if someone can identify the trumpet soloist on "Li'l
Darlin'".
This and all other tracks on the "Broadway Music Hall" digital album can
be heard in their entirety at
http://www.musicme.com/
Write
Broadway Music Hall Basie
and enjoy! The site is free for all.

For those of you who have access to Spotify the album can be found by
typing
broadway music hall basie
Of course i-tunes and other web-shops also have it, but mostly with 30
sec excerpts only.
Thanks,
Kristjan