[78-L] eBay rules

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Sep 29 14:17:07 PDT 2010

> I will guarantee you that the record is still "in tact" - he just didn't
> want to sell it to you for a dime. I've heard of sellers who sell a record
> for a low price and then, after the bidding is over, get a desperate buyer
> who has "missed the closing" and offers 10 times the sum for the record.
> Guess what the seller tells the guy who won the record?
>
> Cary Ginell

If that was the case,  I hope it was sold for more than "ten times" the
winning bid of ten cents.

One time there was a very very very very rare  (VERY rare) Flexo record
listed on eBay.  It was a 1928 Christmas Greetings custom  disk recorded by
Larry Tice,  who was playing sax with that year's version of the Goldkette
band.

I bookmarked it and was prepared to make a big fat bid at the right time.
Then,  all of a sudden,  the listing had vanished...but I'd kept the
seller's name as was able to write to him and ask what happened.

What had happened in this case was that someone claiming to be a "family
member" of the late Mr. Tice had contacted the seller and begged him to pull
it off line and that said "family member" would pay him the grand sum of $25
for the disk.

I calmly offered my opinion that the buyer was no better than a scammer and
that the record was worth many times that to me.  So seller decided to
cancel the purchase by the "family member" and sell it to me.

I bring this up just to point out that it isn't always the seller who is a
scammer...some buyers sure try to pull some fast ones as well.

BTW the record turned out to be quite interesting...a small ensemble improv
with a few jolly words from Mr. Tice right at the end.

Taylor