[78-L] Possible warning...?!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Sep 27 21:14:07 PDT 2010

Just noted, in to-day's Toronto Star, that the US Gov't is now going after
"digital facilities, including 'e-mail lists,'" which somehow assist in the
availability and distribution of "copyrighted" audio material!

So...why is this a problem for us?! The late "Sonny" Bono gave us the
"Digital Millennium Copyright Act"...which placed ALL sound recordings
ever made under "protection" until January 1, 2067 (53.something
years from now...!). Since we discuss 78rpm recordings "fixed" between
late 1889 and some not-yet-established date in the "early sixties"...all
of our favourite "records" are still under protection in the US Of A...
and will be for another half-a-century-plus! Also, many of us either
make available favourite recordings in MP3 or "illicit" CD form, or
post messages describing where such can be acquired...?!

Per "official" US standards, we are all aiding and abetting the
distribution of "illegal" copies of copyrighted sound recordings;
this may necessitate the closure/banning of our list...as well as
criminal prosecution of those who make it publically available?

Yup...if you happen across Edison's original 1879 tinfoil recitation
of "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and, worse yet, decide to offer copies
to other 78-L listeners...you are (1) openly violating US copyright
law...and thusly a menace to decent US society?! Worse yet, it was
YOUR fault that gazillions of Internet users could cheat modern-
day hip-hop "musicians" of countless sums they might otherwise
have earned through the sale of their "music"...!

Yup...think twice before downloading...or worse yet posting...that
Campbell & Burr recording! It is officially protected...and will
remain thus until (currently) January 1, 2067...! Never mind the
harsh fact that by then most potential listeners will no longer be
interested (or be long since dead?!)? Record companies MUST
be protected from those who would undercut their potential
profits by making available such recordings, thus illegally
competing with the record companies who own the copyright
(and will until 1/1/2067...?!).

Yes, 78-L is encouraging countless folks to illegally download
the recorded works of such famed artists as Campbell & Burr,
Ada Jones and "Billy" Murray!

It's only another 56 years...?!

Steven C. Barr