[78-L] Hollywood Bowl recordings

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Sep 27 10:27:15 PDT 2010

On 9/27/2010 1:18 AM, DAVID BURNHAM wrote:
> Not exactly, Victor recorded the Victory Tower, (later the Peace Tower),
> carillon in Ottawa on July 1, 1927, and, of course, studios were fairly small in
> those days so they recorded it outdoors.   db

Do we consider Canadian Victor as the same company as VTMC or RCA Victor
in the U.S.?  VTMC, of course, had released recordings taken off the air
of the Lindbergh Arrival in Washington DC, and the speeches at the
Washington Monument which were made several months before the Ottawa
Canadian National Exhibition recordings.  Of course the CNE recordings
released by Canadian Victor were recordings they made, while the Compo
recordings of the event were broadcast recordings.

But a question about the Victory Tower recordings, where were the mics?
Mics could have been inside the tower, not outside.  I'm not near the
tapes the Nat'l Library of Canada sent me decades ago.  The perspective
of the sound would tell us.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com