[78-L] Red Label Batwing Caruso CDs

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Sep 27 10:08:38 PDT 2010

The fogging problem happened with the original 1990 pressings for the
Complete Caruso box set.  BMG also made other types of red label batwing
pressings for the Caruso single CDs that came out in 1992-1994, several
different types of pressings, and they all seem to play fine.  Dave
Wiener was the one who told me about them and last month I ordered two
of each of them from different dealers on Amazon.  I have two of them
from Europe with darker red ink without the dog logo (just the Gold Seal
logo at the top), several others with a thinner red color from the U.S.
which are translucent red in the un-metalized center section, a similar
one which is a record club pressing, and a re-pressing from 1996 which
has the gold ink laid down first underneath the red.  All of them play
fine.  The 5th disc in the series seems to have been issued only in a
standard Gold Seal pressing with only black ink without the batwing
shape.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com