[78-L] 78-L mail should be normal now

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Sep 26 20:48:57 PDT 2010

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> I can't speak for everyone else here, but I keep opening a lot of boxes of
> records I've accumulated over the years, as well as a few thousand that I
> willingly accepted when they were destined for the dump, and I am saying
> 'WTF'
> a lot.....I mean, seriously, what was I thinking when I bid on a 6-disc
> set of
> Seashore Tests of Musical Talent, other than proving RCA did issue
> something on
> 12-inch "Bluebird Series"? As Robert Redford says at the end of The
> Candidate,
> "Now what?"

Mr. Seashore (? that may have disguised an "ethnic" surname?) was convinced
in his day that he/his program (available for "a small fee...?!") could
identify
the potential "musicians" among the Hoi Polloi...?! We no longer know...or
CAN know...how much money he collected through his efforts!

Back in that long-ago era, when becoming a "working musician" actually
required a degree of musical skill (?!), countless parents assumed/hoped
that their offspring...able to sing ALMOST in key...c/w/should become
musicians...?! This was well before our current reality...where somehow
acquiring a "MBA" degree will guarantee the vaunted superior status

Whether this program could actually produce successful musicians
remains AFAIK undocumented...?!

Steven C. Barr