[78-L] Radio blues

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 26 13:17:09 PDT 2010

At 15:38 26/09/2010, db wrote:
>I was surprised last year when, while driving between Alabama and
>Mississippi I was able to listen to CFRB.

In the 1990s I was lucky enough to have Philips DC777 car shortwave
radio, which meant that I was able to listen to their shortwave
outlet CFRX almost all day, and on a good day could pull in the
Northern service of CBC on 9.625 mhz

>CBC obviously opted to convert Radio 1 in the Toronto area, (and
>other areas),
>from AM to FM because of the improved audio quality.

Sadly that improved audio quality is wasted on rubbish programming
that is in general centric to the major population centre it hails
from. I miss the days of Mornigside, Richardson's Roundup, the
Mystery Project, and even the show that was As it Happens, which
seems to have been replaced by a pale imitation of past glories. In
that light, it seems to me that the state of the CBC (on radio, CBC
TV is another set of problems -- Jeopardy in primetime my a$$!) these
days is such that even talent like Michael Enright can't even right
the ship with The Sunday Edition.