[78-L] [MOCAPS-L] How Victor Dealers promoted the first Electrically Recorded records in 1925

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Sep 21 20:49:56 PDT 2010

From: "Ron Roscoe" <rroscoe at MIT.EDU>
> So people were listening to the new electrically recorded discs on
> their old Victrolas using their old soundboxes?
> Must have sounded just great when the stiff mechanism distorted like
> crazy on loud or bass passages!!

A LOT! This is why Columbia could sell acoustic Harmony records for
a number of years after electric recording became standard...?! Also,
keep in mind that most folks were quite satisfied if their new record
played the song the label suggested it did; "high fidelity" equipment
didn't appear until (IIRC) after WWII?!
> Bruce, what is this 78-L and how can I join it?

It is an e-mail-based list which (in theory) connects the world's
collectors/accumulators (my group!) of 78 rpm phonorecords,
allowing us to exchange e-mail messages on that subject. You
can learn more and/or join us through Ron Fial's 78online.com
web site.

Steven C. Barr
stevenc at interlinks.net