[78-L] The Relative Price of a Record

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 19 14:31:05 PDT 2010

Picked up some goodies at Whistlin' Willie's today and in looking at
them, it made me wonder about the relative price of a record to the
other items of the day like a meal, a loaf of bread, a gallon of gas, etc.

For example, I got a copy of Victor 17213 which is The Funny Little
Melody by Walter J Van Brunt and Maurice Burkhardt b/w You May be
Irish Murphy, But I Think That You're in Dutch by Bily Murray. The
label say 75 cents in USA.

It occured to me that 75 cents in 1910 was a lot of money compared to
other things. It also seems that through most of teh era of the
'single' (including 45s) that the price of a record stayed the same
and didn't change with inflation.

Any thoughts