[78-L] Label scanning

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Sep 19 09:26:43 PDT 2010

  On 9/19/2010 6:21 AM, Milan Milovanovic wrote:
> Also, you can scan lead in groove geometry.
> For data under the label (when appear, rare but there are records with such
> data) you will need rather good photo camera with good lightning.
>
> From: "J. E. Knox"<rojoknox at metroeast.org>
> When I scan labels, I include the dead wax where things like matrix
> and take numbers live. YMMV.

Back in the 1970s and 80s when ARSC undertook the Rigler-Deutsch Record
Index, a special microfilm camera was devised and built to photograph
every pre-microgroove record in the member archives and create the data
files from the films.  The entire record was photographed twice, once
lit to see the grooves and markings, and the other exposure lit and
filtered to make the label readable.  The company which designed the
camera had put together a small record collection with every known label
color combination and set up a lighting and filtering protocol for
each.   Remember, we are talking about black and white photography.

The camera would be taken to the archive so that the records would not
have to be shipped.  In those ancient days before micro-computers, data
entry for the huge mainframe computers was done on key-punch machines as
big as a car.  The data entry team did not have to handle the records.
The other benefit is that the films exist, and I think each of the five
original member libraries has a set.  They also were available for sale
for a few years and I wish I could have afforded them.  In addition, the
camera still exists.  ARSC now owns it, and one of the libraries houses it.

My major regret is that they did not follow my suggestion for
ring-lighting which would have evenly lit the groove surface and make
optical replay possible with the now emerging technology.  Yes, this is
something I had envisioned even that long ago.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com