[78-L] Capitalist tool

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Sep 17 21:38:08 PDT 2010

> No argument there, although Buttons and Bows was written for a Bob Hope
> movie.
> It became a hit despite the AFM's best efforts (both Dinah Shore's and Bob
> Hope's recordings were made with non-union back-up). That song is a gem
> compared to Toolie Oolie Doolie and that Ken Griffin waltz I wish the
> Germans
> would reclaim once and for all. The big bands were priced out of the
> business,
> folks were staying home and watching television, jazz was splitting off
> into
> introspective and incomprehensible directions, movies were NOT better than
> ever, and yeah, pop music was pretty lousy. Broadway musicals were one of
> the
> rare exceptions.
>
> Also spracht Lenny.

I like Buttons and Bows...it works very well in the movie.  Long ago I had a
Victor vocal of it by...Betty Rhodes or some such person...I liked it better
than Dinah's.

There should have been a blues version of one of those other songs:  "Keep
Your Hands Off My Toolie Oolie Doolie."  It could have been recorded by Bull
Moose Jackson and put on the other side of....you know which one.

Taylor