[78-L] Well EXCUUUUUUSE MEEEEE!!!

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 21:30:57 PDT 2010

--- On Thu, 9/16/10, Cary Ginell <soundthink at live.com> wrote:

> Before it was Easy Listening, it was known (at least as far
> as radio formats go) as Beautiful Music. Before that, it was
> "MOR" (for Middle-Of-the-Road).

Glenn Miller's announcer used to tout his Army Air Force band
as providing "30 minutes of easy listening" on their broadcasts.
Is that the first time the saying was used?

I associate "beautiful music" with the Trillion-and-One
Strings kinda stuff -- viz., Muzak with slightly greater
dynamic range.  Like our local BM music station, KIRO-FM
used to say on their TV commercials, "As beautiful as a
bird in flight" while they showed seagulls flying over
misty Puget Sound -- Look out below!!  Easy listening,
which was a different format at the same time, was more
like post WWII band and orchestra pop music.