[78-L] Well EXCUUUUUUSE MEEEEE!!!

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 17 21:13:57 PDT 2010

On 9/18/2010 12:03 AM, Steven C. Barr wrote:
> see end
> From: "Cary Ginell"<soundthink at live.com>
>> Before it was Easy Listening, it was known (at least as far as radio
>> formats go) as Beautiful Music. Before that, it was "MOR" (for
>> Middle-Of-the-Road).
>> Cary Ginell

>>> Point being that so-called "Easy Listening" (an actual radio category at
>>> one
>>> time?!) was music carefully designed to offend as few listeners as
>>> possible,
>>> while NOT inspiring any of its hearers...?! It is effectively music
>>> stripped
>>> of
>>> any emotional content...and the latter is and always has been the primary
>>> purpose of its existence...?!
>>> Steven C. Barr
>>
> WHATEVER they called it...it was (and remains) "content-free"
> "music(?!)"...?!
> "Nice" music that one can listen to without EVER having to think about it
> (or anything else?!)...! Admittedly, the Internet is making equivalent
> content
> readily available in virtually ALL fields...?!
>
> THINK?! Naah...why bother? That task can be given to less-paid peasants...?!
>
> I await an inevitable crisis as things we take for granted begin NOT to
> occur...?!
>
> Steven C. Barr

Point being that it wasn't supposed to be "music to think about". It was the
extension of the Mood Music records that began in the early 40s (or actually a
bit earlier, based on a "mood music" listing I noticed in an early Decca
catalog). 8 records of soft music stacked on a changer provided 24 minutes of
music to eat and get sloshed by, the flip sides might provide another 24
minutes of music to get lucky by, and in an era when most radio stations were
broadcasting individual programs plus DJ assortments of the popular music of
the day, instrumentals were still important. And there was room for interesting
arranging. Folks who listen only to blues or R&B will not want to hear that
Mantovani had 2 or 3 hits beautifully arranged by Ronald Binge, which still
sound great 60 years later, or that Frank Chacksfield had Top 5 hits with Ebb
Tide and Limelight. Nobody drugged record buyers or hit them over the head to
make them buy those records. This wasn't Muzak.