[78-L] 78rpm Podcast.

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Wed Sep 15 11:57:20 PDT 2010

Johnson and Broonzy were two of the few blues musicians who were conscious of trying to expand their base; Johnson with "Tomorrow Night" - a great crossover R&B hit, and Broonzy joining Josh White in the urban folk scene. But there were many more country and blues musicians who had the talent to appeal to other markets, but chose not to or didn't get the same breaks. I can name dozens of country guitarists who not only could equal their jazz counterparts in harmonic complexity, but who actually influenced them as well. When Earl speaks so disparagingly of country music, his point-of-view is probably limited to what little he heard from Nashville or what passes for country music today. It shows to me an obvious unwillingness to even listen to anything he is not familiar with.

As for "limiting their talents for a market," B.B. King made the market come to him, without him changing his style at all.

Cary Ginell