[78-L] Never Know What You'll Find

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 13 12:46:58 PDT 2010

On 9/13/2010 3:42 PM, Taylor Bowie wrote:

>> I was trying to remember when Blue Note had a subsidiary label called
>> Climax
>> before I noticed the previous reference to pre-1910 Columbias....
>>
>> Not bad stuff! Now if only it were 1965 and these were all still 10 cents
>> apiece.
>>
>> dl
>
> David,  in 1965 I was a widdle kid about to work my first job (Saturdays at
> Fillipi's Book and Record Shop,  which some of you  will remember).  As I
> recall,  my starting wage was $1.25 per hour,  so even at a dime each the
> stack of records would have cost me a lot!
>

> Taylor

No kidding. I turned down lots of good stuff at ten cents a disc (and 25 cents
for the twelve-inchers at The Cripps, which later became Goodwill) in the mid
60s because of financial restraints. The one I'm still kicking myself for
(hard, in the head, and twice on Sundays) is the pair of Program Transcriptions
of Carpenter's "Skyscrapers" with Nat Shilkret conducting.