[78-L] Another Museum Closes

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Mon Sep 13 11:06:15 PDT 2010

I've been to the Liberace Museum, which had really become anachronistic, even in the modern glitzy world of Vegas in the 21st century. Nothing had been updated in years, the guides seemed to be going through the motions, and the material presented was basically kitschy, to show how opulent Liberace had become. His musical skills were strictly secondary and the whole place was treated as a joke.
This was too bad, because the guy really had a lot of talent, and from secondary sources who I've interviewed, he was really a good, generous, kind man. Terry Gibbs once told me a story about Liberace coming to see him play in the 1950s when Gibbs had the female black pianist Terry Pollard in his band. Liberace enjoyed the show so much that afterward, he asked Pollard to come over to his table and have a drink with him. The hotel would not permit this because she was black, but according to Gibbs, Liberace "pitched a bitch and caused a big scene," threatening to leave and never frequent the hotel again. Liberace was a huge celebrity in those days, so the hotel took his threats seriously. Eventually, she was able to go over to his table where they had a nice talk.

Cary Ginell