[78-L] Knute Rockne Sound Film and Victor 22808

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Sep 11 00:29:18 PDT 2010

  Recently there were statements here discrediting the Victor disc and
the film of Knute Rockne's locker room speech.

I think that I have discovered the original source of the sound film,
which was also included in the posthumous Universal Film "The Spirit of
Notre Dame" and has a Victor dubbing session date of Sept 14,1931, six
months after his death.

The San Jose News of March 18, 1929 has a story on page 12 announcing
two screenings of a Studebaker Movietone film "Champions" which has a
description which matches the locker room film.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=BjAiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_aMFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1069,7948132&dq=knute+rockne+film&hl=en

The film of the speech itself can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ5YiQqrZCk  (sharpest version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmY7ttVNiWo  (this has a still photo of
Rockne to compare)

Here's a different sound film of Rockne:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2MZUcxh0hU&feature=related

This has a NYC City Hall film but unfortunately all we hear is Mayor
Jimmy Walker -- maybe the whole film exists.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m4NFghqbbI&feature=related

There is a possibility yet another sound film of Rockne could eventually
be located.
Dec 9, 1929 - Alexander, Tad Jones and /Knute Rockne/ are heard
discussing candidates for the all-American eleven.

It would be good to find the Studebaker film itself, and also the
Universal feature "The Spirit of Notre Dame" but have we convinced you
that this film and this record are not fakes???

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com