[78-L] OLD TIMES label - reissues of ASV CDs

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 8 04:06:02 PDT 2010

Malcolm - Venerable Music wrote:
> Hello Alan - Actually Bear Family did successfully sue JSP for lifting
> recordings from their Carter Family set. There is some information about the
> case in this article -
> http://www.indicare.org/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=98
>
> I think JSP had to cough up quite a bit of money for this. I also seem to
> remember EMI threatening them for their Bunny Berigan set which may have
> been lifted from Mosaic? I don't think this ever went to court, but the set
> was pulled from production. So there is at least some legal precedent I
> suppose?
>
> Not sure if this is true, but I also heard that Bear Family has begun to put
> inaudible spikes in their recordings to help identify other of their
> recordings improperly used?
>
> Malcolm
I've a feeling that JSP didn't cough up for the Berigan set, although
they were found guilty. Possibly something to do with cross-border legal
complications regarding enforcement? I heard the JSP Berigan set and the
sound was inferior to the Mosaic. Independent remastering or "dumbing
down" of the sound to hide its origin?

      Julian Vein