[78-L] He's back...!; "RCA Victor Co." Scroll label

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Tue Sep 7 14:55:04 PDT 2010

Greetings from FixitLand!

On Sep 7, 2010, at 1:00 PM, David Lennick wrote:

> Welcome back!

T'anx! Got that goofy password thang worked out to my satisfaction,
so I'm in with both feet. whoopsSPLASH-H-H-H

> I have a couple of Victor oddities to ask about as well. The Pied
> Pipers recorded 4 sides in 1933. 2 are on Victor 24313 and the
> other 2 are on
> Victor 23806. How come 23806, huh?

Strange marketing?

I show 24313 and 23806 as by The Merry Macs rather than The Pied
Pipers. (Well, actually the "Abrams files" show them that way...)

Chicago, April 27, 1933. [Studio A? Same studio as Louis Armstrong
session the day before]
24313  THE MERRY MACS  We're Together Again (75488- )/Love Song Of
The Nile (75490- )
23806  THE MERRY MACS  In A Little White Church On The Hill (75487- )/
Hiawatha's Lullaby (75489- )

Maybe the latter two titles were deemed "Old Familiar"? (What takes
have you?)

> As well, both are Canadian pressings by "Victor Talking Machine Co.
> of Canada".
> How long was that designation still in use up here?

Dunno; fact is, you may have a better handle on that then I. I have
few Canadian pressings, a few more label scans; will have to examine
them all to glean even a guess on a date. Only one I have here at
work is a brass-print copy of Victor 25726 which says "RCA Victor
Company Limited," which I presume is circa 1942 (at least if Canadian
Victor-HMV followed US Victor in moving from bright gold to washed-
out brass printing in 1941). 1933 to 1942 is an awfully wide range in
which to pin that VTM-Canada ending date down...stay tuned. The US
change from RCA Victor Co. to RCA Manufacturing Co. occurred in
mid-1935. What bearing that has on Canadian Victor has yet to be
determined.

Speaking of 238xx, ever see a Rings-label issue in that series? Got
one...unfortunately, can't remember the number...

Take care,

J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"