[78-L] what a work of fiction

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Tue Sep 7 13:06:03 PDT 2010

I have numerous images of the Vic L-4500, L-16000 & L-24000 series (and some others),
but the L-11600 series is rare (though seller seems to think 33-rpm is rare).
I have a clear image of Vic L-11645, which states on label: Schubert / Part 1.
Much rarer than the US issues (at least on ebay) are the Canadian HMV Program TXs.
But it is possible that they are shown on ebay among 33rpm LPs, and then I will miss them...

Is it known why this series seems to start at L-11600 (or -01) ?
My few images are in the range L-11607-656.

Han Enderman
===
>>> It's also only a third of the symphony, and it's dubbed from the 78s. Trust
Victor to spread that one out when it could easily have fitted on two sides,
one movement per.

And Program Transcriptions were still in print as late as 1940, and 33RPMs were
made for radio use and soundtrack playback and intermission music in movie
houses and blah blah blah..

dl

On 9/6/2010 3:16 PM, neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com wrote:
> from you-know-where:
>
> the item is a Victor PRogram Transcription of Stokowski conducting
> Schubert's Symphony #8. At least, I assume it is Schubert and not
> Dvorak. It was never stated exactly.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250692920631&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123
>
> The seller says:
>
> "You are looking at one of the rarest records to exist....[&c &c]
<<<