[78-L] Transcriptions

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 7 07:35:01 PDT 2010

On 9/7/2010 10:30 AM, DAVID BURNHAM wrote:
> It's also only a third of the symphony, and it's dubbed from the 78s. Trust
> Victor to spread that one out when it could easily have fitted on two sides,
> one movement per.
>
> dl
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> I'm a little confused by this posting!  How do you break Dvorak's New World into
> thirds?  If you can put it on two sides, one movement per, then you've only got
> two movements - half of the New World.  Although I think the original posting
> said it might be Schubert, (unfinished).  If that's the case, once again, how do
> you break that symphony into thirds?
>
> db

It's the Schubert..Dvorak's symphonies weren't renumbered till much later. And
the PT is dubbed from the 78s so side 2 is the last third of the first movement
and the first third of the second. Dumb dumb dumb, but with only two sides they
wouldn't have been able to charge as much for it or put it in an album. I've
seen that set, in an album, go for big bucks..I wouldn't pay fifty cents for
it. Frankly I wouldn't pay fifty cents for the original on 78s either, since I
probably have ten copies of it.