[78-L] Moreschi G&T

Malcolm Smith malcolms at redshift.com
Wed Sep 1 12:10:32 PDT 2010

Moreschi was not an opera singer. Women did not sing in the Sistine
Chapel so castrati were employed. I've read a description of Moreschi
and two others singing in the Sistine chapel Choir in the 90s or late
80s and presumably about half of the singers would have been castrati
at an earlier time.

A distaste for the use of castrati in opera begins to appear about
1820 though the finest of them were the leading singers of their
time, really the 18th century. There is operatic writing for them
that is beyond the capability of regular singers.

I've read a holy bull put out by the church in the 19th century that
opposes castrating babies but the church accepted children 'injured
by pigs'. If I remember correctly, Italian law forbidding castrating
babies was written in 1870.

Moreschi's records are found on a special G&T Sistine Chapel label. I
had a duet he sings in but sold it to Yale as they did not have it.
As I recall, it was a Victor pressing.

Malcolm.