[78-L] Mercury Made in Czechoslovakia

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 31 16:51:04 PDT 2010

Mercury had a deal with Ultraphon, to get at all those Czech parts from
Telefunken masters. They got saddled with a lot of unsellable European
recordings, most of which were sent back. They also had to face Capitol in
court over rights to the Telefunken masters, which they eventually ceded since
they had enough other European sources (Tono, German tapes etc) to build a
classical catalog.

dl