[78-L] Mercury Made in Czechoslovakia

goldenbough at arcor.de goldenbough at arcor.de
Tue Aug 31 16:45:14 PDT 2010

The Gramophone Company's pressing plant at the industrial town of Aussig
became, after WWII, the Supraphon pressing plant in what was now called
Ustí nad Labem.

Supraphon was well know for custom pressings. They pressed 78s for labels
in Yemen, Iraq, Lebanon, Albania, Pakistan - at least these are the countries
that I have 78s from which say 'Made in Czechoslovakia'.

I cannot imagine that such Mercury records 'Made in Czechoslovakia' were
ever sold anywhere else than in North America, because, for example, Mercury
pressings with Bulgarian music always turn up in the USA, but never in Bulgaria.

Czechoslovakian records exported to the USA in 1962:   $26,000, says
Billboard.

Which company would have distributed, within Western Europe, some Keynote
material pressed on Mercury-labelled records?  In Western Europe Mercury
was generally represented by Philips International. Exceptions were Austria,
where Mercury material appeared on Austroton, Greece (Helladisc), Italy
(Phonogram), Sweden (Sonora), maybe others.

Benno

--
Der Newskiosk
Von Sommerloch keine Spur: Alle Top-News der großen Tageszeitungen aus Wirtschaft, Politik, Sport, Lifestyle und mehr im News-Kiosk auf arcor.de.