[78-L] Alec Wilder

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Aug 29 04:52:25 PDT 2010

John G. wrote:
> I'm looking for a little info. on Alec Wiilder, who it seems  was /  still
> is  not  much regarded in the States. This is no doubt why he doesn't figure
> in either the jazz   or  American D. B.  discographies  (tho' I don't have
> access to the latest editions thereof).
> I have a British  Parlophone of  "A  debutante's  diary"  and  "Neurotic
> goldfish"  in their   "super rhythm" series, which seems to me to qualify as
> jazz just as well as, say, Reginald  Foresythe's efforts, or some of the
> more whimsical big swing band's  arrangements:  in  fact, for 1939 ( I
> think)  it has some pre-bop intimations.
> Can anyone tell me the exact date, and any of the personnel of the octet ?
>
> Thanks, guys
>

> John  Goslin

This is from the Lord 10.0 disco, although he doesn't mention the
Parlophone!

Alec Wilder
[W5671.10-10]
Alec Wilder Octet:
Jimmy Carroll (cl) Eddie Powell (fl) Mitch Miller (oboe) Harold Goltzer
(bassoon) Toots Modello (b-cl) Walter Gross (p) Frank Carroll (b) Gary
Gillis (d) Alec Wilder (composer,arr)
New York, December 19, 1938
B 23861-2    A debutante's diary    Brunswick 8294, Columbia CL6181
B 23862-1    Concerning etchings              8307,         -
B 23863-2    A little girl grows up             -
B 23864-1    Neurotic goldfish              8294,         -

There is a discography of the Octet recordings by Bjorn Englund in Names
& Numbers 52. Englund does list the Parlophone and other issues.

      Julian Vein