[78-L] Angel records in Canada

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 28 21:09:03 PDT 2010

On 8/28/2010 4:24 PM, DAVID BURNHAM wrote:

> I'm sorry if what I said looked like that, that's certainly not what I meant.  I
> have lots of Canadian pressed Angels and they were generally dreadful - not only
> were the surfaces inferior but they were obviously pressed from different tapes.
>   The most obvious example of this in my experience was Sargent's Stereo Messiah.
>   The contrast between the sound of the Canadian Angel and the World Record Club
> release from England was like night and day.  The WRC version was rich and clear
> and quite stunning.  The Canadian version was harsh, lacking in bass and when
> compared in an A - B situation with the WRC, sounds like poor AM radio, (albeit
> in Stereo).  Unfortunately, the CD release of this recording sounds a lot like
> the Canadian version.  Another example is Frubeck de Burgos' recording of
> "Elijah".  When I heard the English pressed yellow labeled Angel version it was
> a breathtakingly rich sound compared to the Canadian version I was used to.  At
> this point I started importing English versions of every important Angel LP I
> had.

Reminding us that it wasn't only The Beatles that Capitol's engineers dumbed
down. Ever hear an American pressing of Khachaturian conducting Gayaneh? The
English pressing is very difficult to track, but the American remastering is
unlistenable. Then they'd louse them up even more for Seraphim reissues.