[78-L] Making of the EMI centenary Wax recording

Milan Milovanovic milanpmilovanovic4 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 17:38:42 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Royal Pemberton" <ampex354 at gmail.com>
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 3:13 AM
Subject: Re: [78-L] Making of the EMI centenary Wax recording -
somequestions

> 1:  Wax.  Looks much like the brown wax used for early cylinders.

But that material on 0:26-0:28 is so thin. Also if it the same material as
on 0:28-0:34 it is almost translucent (you can see turntable disc supporting
it), but strangely hard enough (no core) to withstand constant stylus lathe
pressure. It is around few millimeters thick, no?

Of course 0:59-1.11 is wax, certainly.
Later on it is clearly lacquer.

> The last segment sounds like they tried to make the final record
> sound a little scratchier than it really is.

The same with me. At first part of the clip music was without so much noise
(during of the playback of that "thing" on contemporary turntable), but
final presentation on this clip (2:15 - 5:05) is, to my ears "faked" - sound
recorded via microphone with bass frequencies hardly roll-off  (while high
frequencies staying totally clear) and then over "added" surface noise of
(blank) shellac record played and recorded through horn. No louder passage
distortion (for such scratched record), and no characteristic horn
resonance, while, at the same time, transients pronounced clearly! Gee...