[78-L] November 9, 1921

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Aug 24 16:00:40 PDT 2010

From: "Donna Halper" <dlh at donnahalper.com>
> At 03:37 AM 8/23/2010, Mike wrote:
>>   My reply was based on your use of the idea that the lack of a tape
>>recorder was the problem.  I should have also included that wire
>>recorders were already in use.
> I wasn't just referring to tape records.  And yes, I should have been
> clearer, for which I apologize.  (I often hesitate to post anything
> because what I mean doesn't seem to come out the way I want it to,
> and I end up feeling really stupid.)  My point was based on
> newspapers and letters from listeners during the early 1920s that
> lamented the ability to easily record what they heard on the air.  In
> 1922, some people were trying to use dictaphones to record programs,
> but this was not a simple task and did not give good quality, based
> on what was written about it.  All I meant was that such tactics for
> recording a program were not in general use. If I am still in error,
> please let me know.

Well, the one noticeable DISadvantage of the disc player vs. the
cylinder machine was that the former could NOT (easily) record
while the latter could. Note that Victor offered a "home recording"
system which took special (and comparatively expensive) discs;
the instantaneous-recording systems of the thirties fell afoul
of the "Great Depression!" After WWII (IIRC) Wilcox-Gay sold
"Recordios" with some success. Problem is that many, if not
MOST of the resulting "off-air" recordings have long since
been tossed...?!

Steven C. Barr