[78-L] Columbia Note the Notes logo

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Mon Aug 23 11:10:47 PDT 2010

The large Magic Notes logo, occupying the upper half of the label, was introduced
by Columbia in 1908. It is used for double-sided records in the A-series.
The legend "Note the Notes" does not occur on the labels, however.

AFAIK, it is first used on the next main label type, the
"Gold Band label without gold band" label (COLUMBIA printed horizontal).
In this label type, a small circular logo at 12h contains the magic notes,
with the words "Columbia - Note the Notes".
The first occurrence known to me is A-2093 (released ca. Dec 1916 or Jan 1917);
lower nrs are (probably) repressings (I assume this applies to A-2078).
After ca. one month (early 1917) the gold band appears on the label,
and the Note the Notes top logo is retained.
Summer 1917 (poss. September) the phrase Note the Notes is replaced by
the word Grafonola.
Does someone know in which month(s) Columbia A-2093-2115 were released?
Prob. this info can be found in Columbia supplements of Dec 1916 and/or Jan 1917.

Han Enderman
===
78-l-request at klickitat.78online.com writes:

> The Note the Notes logo was used in US in 1917 (I guess  ca. Dec 1916 -
Aug 1917), and then > replaced by the Grafonola top logo.  <<
This phrase (Note the Notes) was trademarked by Columbia, as being used
first in August 1913. The Notes themselves first appeared in 1908.

AllenAmet at aol.com
<<<