[78-L] Another dance band question

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Aug 22 20:39:38 PDT 2010

From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
>> The Edgewater Beach Hotel...on Lake Michigan, on the north side of
>> Chicago...
>> was a noted institution...so that name was quickly assigned as a "nom du
>> disque" for various (usually Selvin-led) dance bands of the late
>> twenties?!
>> Steven C. Barr
> No,  Steven,  not in this case.  If you had read my entire post,  you
> would
> have noted that I had established that Mark Fisher (a real person,  long
> part of the Chicago music scene) WAS leading a band at the hotel at the
> time
> the four sides were made.
> Nor do the sides resemble any Selvins from '32 or '33.   They have a very
> crisp and swinging sound,  with very distinctive soloists.

This would seem to require better ears than I own? To me, ALL of the
"house dance bands" of the different labels sound similar; they were
all using stock arrangements (which publishers happily gave to bands
who recorded (or might?!)! Since even Grey Gull realized that continuing
issues under identical names resulted in diminishing record sales...
Columbia quickly figured out that a large supply of "noms du disque"
was needed...?! In the few cases where the credited bands actually
existed...they still used the same "stock: arrangements" and thus
sounded very similar?!

Steven C. Barr