[78-L] November 9, 1921

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Aug 22 20:02:12 PDT 2010

  On 8/22/2010 7:40 PM, Donna Halper wrote:
> I found a rare playlist,
> of the songs played on greater Boston's first station, 1XE (later
> known as WGI) on November 9, 1921.  Since there was no audiotape back
> then, I find these sorts of artifacts very helpful in letting me know
> what phonograph records were actually played on radio during those
> formative years.

But there WERE recording machines capable of recording broadcasts on
cylinder and disc.  I have a cylinder box here (no cylinder
unfortunately) of portions of a WGY broadcast that was recorded in Cape
Town South Africa and sent to WGY sometime in the early 20s.  There are
recordings that Western Electric recorded of WEAF programs as early as
1923, and I know of other experimenters using radio as source for
recordings as early as 1921.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com