[78-L] November 9, 1921

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Aug 22 19:53:08 PDT 2010

  On 8/22/2010 10:05 PM, Donna Halper wrote:
> At 09:22 PM 8/22/2010, you wrote:
>> So how did a radio station broadcast 78s? I mike in front of a horn?
> Yes, and that's one reason Edison stated he didn't want to hear
> phonograph records on radio.

But they didn't have to.  Magnavox manufactured a "Transmitter Tone-Arm"
in 1920 which had a carbon button microphone inside the arm behind the
acoustic reproducer.  An electric pickup had been developed in 1916 by
Paul Fortin of GE and would have been used by WGY except that they had a
license in 1922 that didn't allow the use of records.  So they dug the
needle into the soundboard of a piano and used it as a contact
microphone for the piano.  I even think that old faker Lee deForest in
1916  was using some type of electrical pick-up on a Columbia external
horn phonograph which is show in the photo of his station without a horn
but some wires coming from the reproducer.

Edison actually loaned a phonograph and diamond discs to Tommy Cowan of
WJZ Newark in 1921.  His son Theodore headed a project in the mid to
late-1920s which developed the Rayediphone broadcast transcription system.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com