[78-L] Ben Bernie 1930 -32

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat Aug 21 15:27:09 PDT 2010

I don't have the new dance band discographies yet...is there any info in
them which might be a somewhat accurate personnel listing for the Bernie
band around 1930 - 32.

Everybody seems all het up about the earlier band with Pettis and Bill
Moore,  but these later sides seem way more jazzy to me,  with better solo
work,  and with a real swing to the rhythm as well.

I know that Dick Stabile solos on many of these sides...I've heard him on
clarinet,  alto,  tenor and baritone.

I'm really curious about the trumpets,  both the guy who mostly plays the
lead and the guy who does most of the solo work...the latter is just an
amazing player,  with a beautiful,  clean tone,  excellent ideas and
execution on his solo bits,  e.g.  Livin' in the Sunlight,  You Brought a
New Kind of Love,  Peach of a Pair, There's Nothing Too Good For My Baby,
etc.

Anyone have any clues.  I know what the old Rust says and it's not worth
much in this case.

Thanks from

Taylor