[78-L] Question re Orson, Bernard, Hoagy & Mitchell ;-)

King Daevid MacKenzie phx2tuc at windowslive.com
Fri Aug 20 16:35:42 PDT 2010

...I'm suspecting someone on the list would know the answer to this one. I was listening to an mp3 of the Orson Welles "War of the Worlds" broadcast yesterday when I noticed that Bernard Herrmann, the Mercury Theatre On-The-Air musical director, had the dance band in the earliest sequences play an arrangement of "Star Dust." It's known that H.G. Wells didn't like the idea of what Orson Welles had done to his novel at first, but began liking it when his publisher informed him that sales of the novel had shot upward immediately after the broadcast. Does anyone know if Hoagy Carmichael and Mitchell Parish had known their song was incorporated into the broadcast, and if so, what did they think about it?...

kdm

http://refriedvinyl.blogspot.com

peace 'n oranges...