[78-L] Subject: Re: Subject: Re: MAJOR RECORDS

Margaret G. Still mgstill at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 17 21:42:35 PDT 2010

Mike Biel wrote:
>>When  these are used for radio drama, we prefer that the effects be
recorded dry with no ambiance of their own which would probably be
different from the ambiance of the drama itself.  Ambiance can always be
ADDED, but can not be removed.  The same would be true of theatrical use
because the theater itself has an ambiance.

>> Major often promoted that there effects were "recorded from life".  It
has really been a while since I sat down and listened to some -- I
probably have over a hundred of the different makes -- so I can't be
sure in my description, but I think that they are mainly studio recorded
and sometimes manually created like a sound effects person created
effects.  For example, their fire probably is crinkled cellophane, not a
real fire.  My complaint about the Diary of Anne Frank discs is not how
the recordings sounded but the appropriateness and correctness of their
choices of what to use for the script's sound cues.  They pulled effects
out of their library and put them in the order the script called for
them on these four 12-inch LP sides.  Instead of getting a real
recording of the REAL Westerturen bells -- a LARGE clock tower with
several dozen bells -- they used a stinking little mantle clock.  And a
little tinkling hurdy gurdy that a little Italian guy with a monkey
would have, instead of the HUGE barrel organs that are on the Amsterdam
streets.  They are like what is on the Audio Fidelity Belgian Band Organ
LPs.  Whoever pulled those effects together had never been to Amsterdam,
and probably never even been to Europe.  They also had harbor sounds
which I saw in their regular recordings as the NYC harbor.  There is a
unique sound of the Amsterdam canal boats which is what is needed for
the canal out in front of the house, not ocean going vessels.

I see your point about the ambiance of a production being better off with a
"dry" sound effect, though as you also point out, some of these sound
effects are mighty cheesy.

One Major Record I have notes that the carousel sound effects are "courtesy
of B & B Carousel, Coney Island, New York" - but the others I have don't
give a source.

Thanks to you and the group here for always being generous with your
knowledge.

Best,
Margaret G. Still