[78-L] Subject: Re: MAJOR RECORDS

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 17 19:25:02 PDT 2010

On 8/17/2010 8:14 PM, Michael Biel wrote:
>    On 8/17/2010 7:51 PM, David Lennick wrote:
>> I was just collating my Gennett Sound Effects discs and noticed that one has a
>> paste-on at the bottom of each label..THOMAS J. VALENTINO Electrical
>> Transcriptions, 729 7th Avenue, New York, N.Y.
>>
>> dl
>    This is one of the addresses listed in the 1937 Broadcasting magazine
> Yearbook for Gennett.  Tom J. Valentino is listed as the manager, while
> Harry Genett is the manager of the LA address 1344 So Flower St.  Lee A
> Butt is the manager in Richmond, Ind.  (Pause for laughs and snide
> remarks.)

Nyuk nyuk nyuk. And 1344 So Flower Street is the address on all of the Speedy Q
sound effects discs I just looked at.

Masque and Standard are also on the list although they do
> not mention sound effects specifically for Standard.  Major and Speedy Q
> are not listed.
>
> In my 1951 Turnbull book he shows a NYC address for Gennet as 67 W 44th,
> as well as the two Starr Piano Richmond Ind and 1344 So Flower St LA
> addresses it shares with Speedy-Q.  But what is strange that I didn't
> notice yesterday that the NYC address for Speedy-Q is Charles Mickelson
> (sic.)!   25 W 47th.
>
> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

Radio program syndicators were a logical outlet for sound effects discs..when I
went through Spence Caldwell's offices on Jarvis Street before he shut the
business in 1969 (and according to rumor, left the remaining discs in the
basement which was then paved over for a parking lot) there were a number of
SFX discs, and there were dozens of Speedy Q discs in the holdings of G. N.
MacKenzie Limited. Caldwell and Mackenzie split the assets of All Canada some
time in the early fifties, and my Standard catalog has S. W. Caldwell's name
and address printed on the inside cover. I've seen EMI sound effects with one
of the above names printed on the label at the source, not pasted over.

Interesting side point..Standard Radio also offered a "Standard Program
Library", presumably the usual 16-inch discs of various types of music and
voice tracks and production aids we often run across, as "a complete music
library of 5000 selections for outright sale". Also a Mood Music library on ten
double-faced 23-inch discs (I've never run across these) for $75, AND..get
this, li'l cowpokes..the Sons of the Pioneers Library, 44 double-faced 12-inch
33RPM records, "hard to find tunes recorded in 1934". Price $95.00 complete.
This was in 1953.