[78-L] Records of old phone conversations

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Tue Aug 17 12:33:57 PDT 2010

> The wedding recordings are in need of weeding out, but are the telephone
> conversations worthy of conversion?
>
>      Julian Vein

I may have posted about this before,  but for me some of the most
fascinating material in the gigantic Rudy Vallee archive held at the
Thousand Oaks Public Library are the tapes Vallee secretly made in the early
30s after tapping the telephone conversations of his wife (whom he suspected
of two-timing).

There was something riveting about hearing the long-ago voices of ordinary
people talking about ordinary things...not like on a radio broadcast or a
in a movie,  but in "real life."

We have so much material on record from the last hundred years,  but there
is really very little of it which recorded people just talking and having an
ordinary conversation,  with no idea at all that their conversation was
being saved for posterity.

I don't know how old the phone conversations are in the Savory collection,
but I'd be inclined to save them anyway.

Taylor