[78-L] Victor 24351 with 2 3/4" label (Oakland pressing):normal?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 16 19:18:38 PDT 2010

I have never been able to figure why Victor sometimes used a small label, except when the side was unusually long..as with Helen Kane's "That's My Weakness Now" or Stokowski's 1934 "Toccata and Fugue" which ran into the label space. Red Seals, black label, Bluebird, Electradisk, ten inch, twelve inch, Canadian pressings as well, not confined to Oakland. I have a Fiskana with small labels. In all cases, the cutting ended with enough room for a normal size label. Canada used them well into the late 30s. Sometimes I find a small label on one size and a larger label on the reverse.

dl