[78-L] From tape to cylinders, WAS: pessing Plant on TV "Modern Marvels Retro-tech"

JD jackson1932 at cfl.rr.com
Sun Aug 15 13:29:23 PDT 2010

> Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 06:12:18 -0400
> From: "simmonssomer" <simmonssomer at comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: [78-L] Pressing Plant on TV "Modern Marvels Retro-tech"
> To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
>
> Just got a book from the library. It's the highly praised "Dancing In The
> Dark" by one Morris Dickstein.
> It is a cultural history of the great depression. I opened it with great
> anticipation. Then in the introduction I came upon this line.
> "......musicologists like Charles Seeger and John and Alan Lomax traveling
> with rudimentary tape recorders, unearthed a treasure trove of folk music
>
> And that was that.
>
> Al Simmons

Thw author may have used the same fershlugenner research source(s) as did
Levinson in his bio of Harry James, "Trumpet Blues."  In discussing the
James' and other band's  direct to disc recordings for Sheffield in the 70s
he states that the sessions were recorded to cylinder.  (Cue "Liberty Bell
March")
JD   (Fershlugenner potzrebie)