[78-L] MAJOR RECORDS

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Aug 14 19:09:31 PDT 2010

  On 8/13/2010 5:37 PM, Royal Pemberton wrote:
> Major records: Sound effects producer Thomas J Valentino Inc of New York.
> Often used for such things as dramatic productions.

Valentino had been the NY studio manager for Gennett which is how he got
into sound effects.  They also developed an extensive music library and
it is thru that they they still sorta in business as Valentino Music.  I
can only get a home page now at www.tvmusic.com but if you plug that
address into the waybackmachne at  archive.org  you can find their CD
catalogs and even sound samples.  I used to talk to the old man at the
NAB conventions and he invited me up to his office to interview him, and
he also let me pick out a whole lot of stuff from the 78 stock room. I
found some very interesting styles of test pressings. I do need to put
an article together from that interview.  His two sons continued to run
the company, and they told me that their first CD had come out when
their dad was dying and he got to see it.

One of their specialties was putting together discs of music and sound
cues for live productions of shows, and the first Major records I was
exposed to was the cues for The Diary of Anne Frank when I was in high
school.  THEY WERE LOUSY.  They had a mantle clock for the Westertern
church clock tower carillon, and a hurdy gurdy for a Dutch street barrel
organ.  I was forced to use that crap then -- even though I had real
recordings of the tower and barrel organs even then -- but I used real
recordings when I did sound for a local production of it in the 1990s.
If you look at that home page they have now, THIS is the one show they
mention, and they say they have a disc of cues for bot the original
version and the new one.  I wonder if they are still using the old crap!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com