[78-L] Dumpster Diving in London

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Aug 13 19:50:31 PDT 2010

From: "Robert M. Bratcher Jr." <bratcher at pdq.net>
> I bought discounted Laserdiscs too here in Houston when video stores
> were getting rid of them. Also bought a lot when Kencranes.com was
> selling them off after they switched to the DVD format.

Two relevant accounts:

1) About 25-30 years ago, a good friend (and 78 supplier) of mine,
Don Keele, was given the chance to acquire a number of 78's which
were found in the garbage (or, as I call it, "from Boulevard Surplus!"
The records appeared to have been accumulated (and tossed?) by
an employee of Columbia(C); they included a number of 30's
issues (into the "blue wax" era!). Don paid the finders a rather
significant amount (to their surprise?!)...and immediately sold
several to one of his regolar customers (for about $10 each;
they were cheap at that price!). As was his usual pattern, he
then sold the remainder in his store...for a diminishing price
starting at $2-3 each and dropping as they went unsold...!
One of the records I bought (for $2) was the Ipana Troubadors
issue with Bing Crosby "borrowed" from Whiteman (a Columbia
artist).

2) I'm currently buying large quantities (or being given!) of 78's
from folks who seem to assume they are SO obsolete as ro be
worthless(?!). I seem to be running "head-on" into a half-vast
group of e-wotsit "I HAVE to get rich!?!?) fundamental
orifices who assume(guess?!) that 78rpm phonorecords
are "valuable ANTIQUES" and as such MUST be worth about
$100 per each...?!

One never knows...do one...?!

Steven C. Barr