[78-L] Sholem Aleichem

Sherry Mayrent smnet at oyfpro.com
Sun Aug 8 11:55:13 PDT 2010

At 02:13 PM 8/8/2010, you wrote:
>Sherry,
>
>I must tell you that this set was a real ear-opener and a joy from beginning
>to end.
>
>Since we are discussing this set and these recordings, are further volumes
>of these recordings in the works. I am very glad that they will be available
>online, but will they be downloadable as MP3s, for instance?
>
>Many thanks,
>Jeff Sultanof

Hi, Jeff.  We are actually hoping that the online accessibility being
planned will make reissues somewhat obsolete, though practically,
it's going to take a while to get it all up and running so yes, we
are indeed contemplating a second set, which will probably rareties
from my collection.  I just brought down to Chris King, our engineer,
hundreds of records from Argentina, the Soviet Union, Israel and
Europe, many of which no one generally knowledgeable in this field
have ever heard of!

The Mills Library folks are totally in agreement with my wish that
anything available online from my collection should be available for
download.  My whole point (as I wrote in the intro to the boxed set)
is that these discs are not just an historic record, but also the
lost generations of our teachers in a very real way.  The ability to
listen, and play or sing along, in the privacy of one's own home, is
essential.

Here's a link to an announcement about the whole Madison
project:  http://www.news.wisc.edu/18005

Thanks so much for your kind words, and for your interest in our work.

-- Sherry

Sherry Mayrent
Associate Director, KlezKamp
www.klezkamp.org