[78-L] Sholem Aleichem

Steve Shapiro steveshapiro1 at juno.com
Sun Aug 8 10:29:45 PDT 2010

I don't have the cd set, but the Sholem Aleichem recording was not "edited".

This one-sided purple Victor 60144 has two tracks.  The needle stops at the end of the first track (Ven Ich Bin Rothschild).  The second track (A Freylicher Yom Tov) is longer than the first.

In theory, I see nothing wrong with using only the first, very distinct track.  But as for including only the first track "because of time constraints", you have to wonder with 5000 Jewish 78s at their disposal why they squandered space on this cd with the unjewish American Quartet and Operatic Rag tracks.  Few people understand the area of Jewish 78s better than Professor Saposnik.  Better they would have included say the Avon Comedy Four's Hungarian Restaurant Scene, which while entirely in English is about as Ashkenazic Jewish funny as it gets.

I have two extra copies of the purple label Victor (who would have passed these up whenbthey went cheap) and would be glad to trade these for something comparable, perhaps a recording of I. L. Peretz or a recording of Mishka Yaponchik Vinnitsky singing the Yiddish songs he sang at his sister's wedding.  For Vinnitsky, all we have is the silent film reenactment of the wedding (which is up on youtube)./steve