[78-L] Smallest Transcription Disc?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Aug 5 18:49:27 PDT 2010

  On 8/5/2010 6:54 PM, goldenbough at arcor.de wrote:
> .
> So I understand that SESAC has distributed their discs free of charge to U.S. stations,
> but charged 'Sender Freies Berlin' when I ordered several records from them. I am
> pretty sure that it was $20 per EP and $50 per LP.
> They may have followed this policy because Europe was not their marketing territory.
>
> Benno
>   in Deutschland

That is probably the case.  SESAC has a special place in my heart.  When
I was a grad student and managed college radio stations, and then when I
was a newly minted R-TV professor, I often attended the annual National
Association of Broadcasters convention.  Major companies had hospitality
suites, and those of us who were not owners or chief engineers of
stations were looked upon as freeloaders by many of these companies,
despite the fact that we often bought a hell of a lot of equipment from
some of them.  SESAC WELCOMED us.  The actual owners of the organization
were often there, plied us with loads of food (I survived because of
their food), booklets, and records.  Why??  Because they knew that even
if we were not actual broadcasters, we were TRAINING the future actual
broadcasters, and they wanted us to include info about performance
rights licensing and payments while remembering that there was more than
ASCAP and BMI.  Another irony.  During the years I was a student, it was
under the old copyright law which required payment ONLY for "performance
for profit".  This meant that those of us with non-commercial
educational radio stations did not pay performance royalties because we
were not-for-profit organizations.  They knew they couldn't make a dime
off of us.  This changed in 1976 when the 1975 copyright law eliminated
the two words "for profit" from that provision.  Now all stations, even
our college stations, had to take out ASCAP and BMI licenses, and at
least all of us who knew about SESAC knew to have our schools also take
out SESAC licenses.  And for thirty years, every one of my radio
students learned about ASCAP, BMI, AND SESAC.

And thanks for all those Nat Shilkret LPs, SESAC!!!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com