[78-L] More on Mitch Miller

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Tue Aug 3 11:02:57 PDT 2010

Yes and no.
I grew up in NYC in the 50s and 60s and we evidently had a much wider
variety of rock n roll to choose from, as did the popular jocks. Yes,
all the pop artists you mention were there, and more, but we also had
material from as far away as Philadelphia (!) and New Orleans as well as
all that early R&B. I still have tapes I made of the air from WOR (I
think),  WMCA and WBAI. The WBAI stuff is esoteric, and so outside the
scope of this thread, but the other two were mainline rock/pop. I
specifically remember Murray The K (and his Swinging Soiree) and I guess
he musta been progressive because a lot of the stuff out of New Orleans
showed up there. Don't know how much Memphis material showed up in NY,
though.
Hmm, I'll have to dig up some of the play lists of my tapes and see
who's right here. Could be different views from different sources.
Mal

*******