[78-L] More on Mitch Miller

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Aug 3 10:13:46 PDT 2010

  On 8/3/2010 11:40 AM, David Lennick wrote:
>   Hindsight is wonderful. But if you were around in the mid 50s and listening to all kinds of music, you'll know that rock and roll WAS regarded with horror by the major record labels, even though Victor did sign Elvis and Decca already had Bill Haley, whose recordings were being produced in a style similar to those that had brought us Louis Jordan the previous decade.

Both Haley and Elvis were originally considered C&W performers.  In
fact, the matrix numbers on Elvis' first Victor recordings included the
"Western" indicator.  Miller just kept more control over the sound of
Marty Robbins, another performer from the C&W field.

>   Columbia Records was highly regarded for its classical albums, its Broadway recordings (with My Fair Lady, in which Columbia had invested, who needed music that would appeal only to teenagers with 85 cents in their pockets?), jazz and country. Miller opposed rock and roll, but that was also the corporate mindset at the time. And they made up for it in time.  dl

George Avakian was an exec in charge of Columbia Pop at that time, not
jazz.  And Haley's first session with Rock Around the Clock was produced
by Milt Gabler.

If you listen to REAL rock station air-checks from the 50s and look at
their published charts, you will find to your amazement that usually
less than 25% of the records played on these formats were really what we
now consider to be rock 'n' roll.  There was a LOT of Perry Como, Doris
Day, Johnny Mathis, Pat Boone, Four Aces, Four Lads, Kingston Trio, and
even Yellow Rose of Texas, and very LITTLE of Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck
Berry, Little Richard, etc.  We are remembering the era thru the filter
of oldies stations in the 70s and 80s, and those Oldies But Goodies LPs,

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com