[78-L] Turntable vibration isolation

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Aug 2 22:07:55 PDT 2010

  On 8/2/2010 11:29 PM, Sammy Jones wrote:
> Mike Biel wrote:
>
>> We had an Audiophool join over at the ARSC-List last week, and I bet he
>> could recommend some turntable isolation feet that would run a couple
>> of hundred bucks.
> I tried a $500 power cord, but I still get vibrations!

Sounds like a cue for the Beach Boys!
> I was around for that discussion, but kept my head down.

Watch out for the crapnel, er shrapnel.

>   Seriously though,
> I'm not interested in "improving the soundstage" or anything like that, but
> are the products on Nauck's, KAB, or Esoteric Sound likely to help my
> particular problem?  Somebody recommended concrete or marble slabs to me
> off-list, but I'm not sure that's practical in my apartment.

Sometimes it is a resonate frequency.  I had a place on the floor of my
room when I was a kid that would bouce the Bogen/Lenco B-61 turntable 14
feet away.  You might try an office supply store for a typewriter
vibration mat.  They might still make them for printers.  These were
soft but dense quarter inch thick rubber mats that we used under
electric typewriters years ago.
>> If we did that in my daughter's 4th floor Brooklyn apartment the
>> turntable would be dancing a jig every ten minutes when the subway
>> rumbled by under her building.  It's amazing how the frame of her
>> building transmits the vibration.
> The ceiling above me is just as creaky.  I routinely hear the upstairs
> neighbors coming in from the bar at 2 AM, getting up for a midnight snack,
> etc.

Leah's got a hyperactive ten year old boy upstairs.  Russian single
mother.  Not very friendly.

> I'm in Atlanta, so no subway to worry about, though I do hear a freight
> train off in the distance sometimes!
>
> Sammy "Treading Lightly" Jones

The Midnight Special?  I know it ain't The City Of New Orleans,
California Clipper, or Orient Express.  Since I hear trains when I visit
Birmingham, maybe it's Birmingham Bertha.

Mike (my mother Bertha lived in Birmingham) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com